Develop Your Home's Natural Medicine Chest
FOUR WINDS NUTRITION RECOMMENDS...
Perhaps you are old enough to remember when a large percentage of the population lived in rural communities, perhaps not. Back in the 1960s about 40% of the population lived in the rural areas while the other 60% was urbanized. Today almost 85% of the population is urbanized and the other 15% is rural.
We mention this because with the urbanization of the population, there has been a tendency to do less for ourselves and rely more on various experts, especially in the area of health care.
Today, many parents head to the doctor or emergency room for even small injuries and common ailments. Maybe it is because these services are so convenient that we have forgotten it is possible to care for many of these ailments ourselves, very simply, and very effectively. With increasing health care costs and a growing understanding of some of the risks of allopathic medicine, perhaps it is time we started relearning on how to care for common ailments at home.
To do so, however, requires we reestablish the time honored tradition of having a home medicine cabinet. Iodine, alcohol, alum, ipecac, baking soda, salt, gauze bandages, cotton balls (real ones!), cotton swabs on wood sticks, and the ever proverbial supply of Band-Aids have been traditional components of the trusty home medicine cabinet.
Remember begging mom to put a Band-Aid on every little cut or scratch? Hey, it was cool to have a Band-Aid on the knee, elbow, or wrapped around a finger. Ahhh, the memories.
A home medicine cabinet is more than a first aid kit, although first aid supplies should be part of the kit. It needs to have remedies for coughs, colds, flu and any other ailments the family is commonly prone to catch. If you are into natural health care, it is vitally important to keep a good supply of basic remedies on hand, since you cant get them from the local grocery or drug store, and health food stores and herb shops are often closed on weekends and holidays.
The first thing to do is head out to your local sporting goods store or the outdoors sporting department of a local K-Mart, Wal-Mart or Shop-Ko. You are going to purchase a large fishing tackle box. We have found over the years that this item has stood the test of time as the most cost effective, convenient, easy to use means of putting a home medicine chest together. They can be as roomy as you choose to get. They are compartmentalized with different size spaces for differing items. If you get one of the better ones (which we highly suggest), it will be sturdy and can take quite a pounding. And they are portable which in todays world is a real plus. Inside, you will find suggestions for what to put into your medicine chest and how to use it.
Keep this article with your chest as a handy reference.
Stocking Your Home Medicine Cabinet
Here are some suggestions for items to keep on hand to care for your family's health and well-being.
Start with some standard first aid supplies, like bandages, gauze, tape, real cotton balls and so forth. A Swiss army knife that has scissors and tweezers is very handy. If you don't have a Swiss army knife, at least have a pair of scissors and/or a small pocket knife.
A couple of sewing needles and a pair of tweezers for extracting slivers are useful items as well.
Now it is time to stock our natural medicines.
The following is a list of items we have found valuable in our own medicine chests. Feel free to add or subtract items according to your own family's needs.
Distress Remedy: A must have!
Distress Remedy is a homeopathic preparation that aids the body's recovery from trauma.
Distress Remedy is a flower essence that can relieve both emotional and physical shock. It can also be applied topically to speed the healing of minor injuries. This excellent homeopathic product can also be used with children... they love it!
Apply on solar plexus (to relax when stressed for ex.) with a few drops under the tongue. Keep for a few minutes under the tongue and then swalow.
Have difficulty sleeping? try distress remedy!
Abrasions & Scratches
Any of the following can be applied topically to abrasions, scratches and simillar injuries to prevent infection, ease pain and/or promote healing: Aloe Vera gel, Silver Shield, Enzymes Spray and Tei Fu Oil.
Acne, measles, chicken pox, rashes and hives
Acne, measles, chicken pox, rashes and hives
Antibiotic - Infection fighting
Garlic, the most time honored and proven botanical antibiotic, is also useful for high blood pressure and respiratory congestion. For your kit we recommend the Garlic Oil in the gel caps or the High Potency Garlic. These are more potent infection fighting remedies.
Antiseptic, healing salve
Lobelia acts as a bronchial dilator and can be used in cases of asthma attacks where other medication are not available. Administer doses of Lobelia Essence every two minutes (about 1/4 teaspoon) until the attack subsides. This may cause vomiting, but will ease the attack.
Bacteria, fungi, protazoa and viruses
Silver Shield is an effective anti-microbial substance. A natural antiseptic is a must for a first aid kit and Silver Shield is one of the best. Silver Shield has been shown to kill every pathogenic microbe known. The liquid can be taken internally or applied topically. It can also be sprayed on the throat for sore throats, or into the sinuses for sinus infections. It can safely be atomized and inhaled or used as eye drops.
Bites & StingsInsect bites and stings can be treated with a wide variety of remedies. Black Ointment, Echinacea, Tei Fu oil, Lobelia and Nature's Fresh are all remedies that can reduce swelling and ease the pain of insect bites and bee stings. For poisonous spider bites, apply a poultice made of activated charcoal and black ointment and seek medical assistance.
Also seek assistance for allergic reactions.
To stop external bleeding, apply pressure directly to the wound. You can also sprinkle capsicum into bleeding wounds to help stop the bleeding. Capsicum can be taken internally to help stop internal bleeding, too.
Bumps & Bruises
Distress Remedy to be applied directly to bumps and bruises to rapidly reduce swelling and ease pain. You can also hold or rub the afflicted area for 5-20 minutes to take down swelling even more rapidly.
Burns & Scalds
First degree burns involve redness, pain and swelling and second degree burns cause blisters. You can treat both first and second degree burns by applying cold water immediately to the burned area to cool it down. You can also dress the burn with Aloe Vera Gel to soothe pain and cool the burn. Nature's Fresh, Silver Shield and Distress Remedy also make useful burn remedies.
Two other good burn remedies you will probably have in your kitchen include French Vanilla extract (not imitation) and raw honey. Both ease pain and promote rapid healing. IF Relief can be taken internally for pain.
Canker Sores (Mouth Ulcers)
Colds - Infection
At the first sign of a cold, stop eating and start drinking lots of fluids. Take remedies to clear congestion like ALJ or Capsicum.
Cramps & Spasms
Lobelia is excellent at relieving cramps and spasms. It can be taken internally, but works even better when the extract is applied topically mixed with equal parts of capicum extract. This draws blood into the the afflicted area and relaxes muscles.
Activated Charcoal makes an excellent remedy for diarrhea. It absorbs substances that are irritating the colon and firms up the stool.
Ear Infection - Earaches
Two remedies which make good ear drops for ear infections are lobelia (which eases pain) and Silver Shield (which fights infection). Before putting these into the ear they should be warmed to body temperature. You can do this by puting the bottle into a cup of warm water or holding under your armpit or some other warm spot of your body.
Here are two other simple home earache remedies.
Food Poisoning - Diarrhea
Sprinkle tiny amounts of capsicum in socks or gloves to prevent frostbite.
(Visit this page for major headaches and migraines)
Headaches in the frontal region of the face are usually caused by congested sinuses. Inhale Tei Fu Oil, take AL-J internally or spray Silver Shield into the sinuses to help decongest them.
Headaches involving a sense of pressure and tension can be eased by massaging the neck and shoulders using Lobelia and Capsicum and following this with Tei Fu Oil.
Nausea & Vomiting
Poison Oak or Ivy
Shock is a response to severe physical or emotional trauma and is characterized by paleness, rapid but weak pulse, rapid and shallow respiration, restlessness, anxiety or mental dullness, nausea or vomiting associated with reduced blood volume and lower blood pressure and subnormal temperature. Cover the person to keep him/her warm, elevate the feet and give that person Capsicum. They can also inhale Tei Fu Oil.
You can gargle with Silver Shield and/or Capsicum extract diluted with a little water or spray Silver Shield directly on the throat. You can also rub Capsicum and Lobelia, Tei Fu Oil or Silver Shield Gel on the outside of the throat.
Sprains & Pulls
Wounds & sores
Wounds - Stop Bleeding
Respiratory congestion - Allergies
Upset Stomach - Colic - Gas
(In place of chemical products)
2018 Nature2u - USA